Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Extension

Finally, I found out last night that I don't have to report tomorrow to my duty station. I've got a ten day delay, so I'll be reporting on the 23rd. This has been one of the more frustrating aspects. (My report date actually changed three times in less than 24 hours.) I wish things were a little more organized. I'm going to see my parents tomorrow on a trip that had been planned for a couple of months, which is why I asked for the delay in the first place. So, today I unpacked some of my gear since I have to pack for this short trip to RI. I'm only planning on working a few hours next week since I have more than enough leave to take the time off. I'd like to think that things will go smoother from here on out, but that would be foolish considering how things seem to be going so far.
Today at work, I was talking to some of the guys about which is the best armor to get and what other gear I probably want to buy or get issued before I go. It's odd to have conversations like that, but it helps me to continue to keep things in perspective also. When I first heard that I was deploying, I thought I was just going to Qatar, which I've been to many times, so it wasn't a big deal. It was really a shift in mindset, though, when I found out they'd changed me to Iraq. It's no longer just a place I watch in the news or even hear about my friends that are over there. Now, it's a reality for me. It sounds grim and maybe unrealistic, but in some ways, I had to think about my own mortality and the possibilities of what could happen to me over there. Now, I don't think that anything terrible will based on my job, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't. I'd like to think that I'll come back alive and in one piece, but not everyone can or does. It's not something that bears dwelling on, but it's certainly something that I felt like I needed to at least think about and it's a tiny thought that sort of sits in the back of my head now.
Anyway, it seems like most is right with the world for today at least. I'll get to see my family. I'll be eating lobster again in the next 48 hours. Yum! And I had a really great dinner last night. Above all, I got a ten day reprieve from reporting for duty. If only things could stay this good...

No comments: